22 April 2009

M.I.A. And Disco Dancer

Disco Dancer

You know that really catchy M.I.A. song, "Jimmy"?




Well, the entire backbone of that ditty is comes from a song in the classic Bollywood film Disco Dancer.

Disco Dancer was released in 1983, at the height of Bollywood's Brown-sploitation phase, and featured the talents of two of the greatest Bengalis ever to work in mainstream Indian cinema: the music maestro Bappi Lahiri and the great actor Mithun Chakraborty.

Here is a video of "Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Aaja"...somewhere my friend Andre Koutouza is smiling.




Why? Apparently this was a huge hit in the former Soviet Republic when he was growing up.

Vodka and Mithunda...now that is the way to make it through a Russian winter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The original song is better than plagiarism of M.I.A.
Well, I'm from Russia. All the people know Mithun here. And respect him for warm and kind movies. And many Russian people love indian films more than bloody american's...
And I'm want to say...You know nothing about Russia if you know about vodka only...