08 November 2007

Singapore [1400; 09 Nov 2007]


Okay, so I couldn't explore the city after all. Apparently if you have an Indian passport you need to have a stamped visa from the USA, New Zealand, or Australia or they won't let you roam free in Singapore for 8 hours (and no, an European Schengen Visa doesn't help matters).

Since my visa status was too complicated to be boiled down to a single stamp on a passport (the look that crosses an immigration officer's face when you start pulling out paperwork is classic - and it's one I have become quite unaccustomed to) the immigration officer politely asked me to take the city tour instead, where they don't allow you to step foot in Singapore, just ogle it from within the confines of a hermetically sealed bus.

So, now that I had time to kill and no opportunity to sample the local fare of Singapore, I did the only thing I could do.

I devoured Singapore Chili Crab at Chen Fu Ji, an eatery inside the airport.
The poor crab never stood a chance.
The only issue is that I can feel that all too familiar rumbling in the tummy. I told my wife I should have brought more than 10 Alka Seltzer tablets. This is only the beginning of the trip!






No comments: