22 April 2008

Best Band, Ever...Vampire Weekend!






All right, it's true, I was the oldest one at the El Rey a couple of weeks ag...and if it weren't for The Better Half's troubling obsession with these four very young lads from Columbia University I probably wouldn't have gone.

But, boy was I glad I did.





Vampire Weekend rocked the house! I was a bit skeptical about them transferring their twee sound to a live venue, but they kept the essence of the album intact, and added in a bunch of live variation to keep it really interesting. The four of them are actually really good musicians, and they are a tight, focused unit. I was really surprised by some of the harder-edged stuff they added into the songs.






Here it is, my earth-shattering critical analysis of Vampire Weekend: If a good Wes Anderson movie was a band, it would be Vampire Weekend.

They did 2 - 3 new songs, one of them was about California. The songs were a little bit more experimental than what they have on the current album, so it'll be interesting to see if they go out on a limb with their second CD.



We saw Danny Masterson (Hyde from That 70s Show) with a hot blonde almost 6 inches taller than him.
I also ran into Jonah Hill (the fat kid from Superbad) in the men's room. I shouted out "Hey, it's Lil' Seth Rogen"and he did not seem pleased, at all. If it weren't for the fact that we were in a public restroom, and people were watching, and he outweighed me by a good 100 lbs, I would have taken him...out!

Next time Jonah, you'd better watch it kid!

Here are a couple of videos from the show:

New Song 1






New Song 2





Oxford Comma (My favorite song)







A Very Sweet Shout-Out From the Band






LINKS

Vampire Weekend Website
El Rey Theatre

No comments: