20 May 2008

My Own Brush With A Mia Farrow-Like Family


I was on my way back from Denver and got on the plane to find a real-life Mia Farrow-style family sitting next to, and around, me.

A couple of African-American kids, a couple of Asian-American kids, and all the colors of the Benetton rainbow.

I gotta say, they were the best behaved family I had ever seen.

The father was very supportive of the kids (unlike the other parents who had to enlist the aid of the flight attendants to help them control their obnoxious brats), the kids themselves were very polite with one another, and the little baby in her (adopted) mother's arms next to me did not let one peep out the whole flight (unlike, again, the pleas of "don't cry," "shhh!," "quiet" emanataing from the other parents throughout the plane). The mother interacted with the baby the entire way, and you could just see her little eyes light up with so much love and attention.

After the flight all of them proceeded in a very orderly fashion off the aeroplane (again, in stark contrast to the other families).

Somewhere, Ms. Farrow is smiling...

No comments: