14 October 2007

The Problem with Living in Southern California


Okay, so there are very few problems with living in "SoCal" (that's what the natives call it), but there are a few problems.

To wit: Two local AFC teams.

This means that all the NFL games shown by the local CBS affiliates always include either the San Diego Chargers or the Oakland Raiders.

As we speak, instead of showing the biggest game of the year so far (the 5 - 0 Dallas Cowboys vs. the 16 - 0...sorry, I mean the 5 - 0 New England Patriots), my big-screen TV is subjecting me to a scintillating Chargers - Raiders game (already 14 - 0 in the first quarter).

This means that I have to venture out to a nearby establishment called a "sports bar" (or so I have been told by my make co-workers) to catch the Dallas - New England game.

The whole reason I bought this big-screen TV was precisely so that I wouldn't have to go out and interact with the outside world at large. I wanted to avoid the bright sunshine, the crowds of young people having fun, and that general feeling of optimism which comes from living this close to the beach and remain ensconsed in my little bubble with my little couch with my wife's little cat...but now...I...may...have...to...step...outside...


See, living in "SoCal" isn't all that's cracked up to be!

No comments: