01 August 2008

See I Told You That Song Was Good


When M.I.A.'s last album Kala came out, I totally loved it. I thought "Jimmy" was the hidden gem on the album, and then came across "Paper Planes" and very soon it was on heavy rotation on my First Gen iPod Shuffle (as The Better Half can attest, she quickly grew sick of the song).

I myself had grown tired of Judd Apatow, and his overexposed brand of man-child, fat man-hot chick raunchy comedies-with-a-heart. But then I saw the trailer for Pineapple Express, and I was hooked.


First of all, I love James Franco and was just waiting for his re-emergence. Then there's the fact that the awesome Gary Cole is in the movie. Then there's the fact that the movie had some pretty inspired casting choices in the smaller roles rounding out the ensemble (Danny R. McBride, Bill Hader, Ed Begley Jr., Kevin Corrigan, Nora Dunn, Craig Robinson, and Rosie Perez, yes that Rosie Perez). Then there's the fact that the once-and-future Terence Malick-junior director David Gordon Green (yes, the same man who made such Malick-inspired films as George Washington) was the one directing the movie (a crazy choice for an Apatow film). Then there's that awesome shot of Seth Rogen carrying Franco through the flames. Then there's that truly awesome shot of Rogen flying through the air at Cole (flying!).

And then, then, there is that awesome song again, "Paper Planes."

And just like that it was back on heavy iPod First Generation Rotation again (much to The Better Half's chagrin).

And I'm not the only one who noticed. It's actually on the iTunes Top Songs list at No. 4 (a position it never reached when the album was initially released).


See, I told you it was good.

Now excuse me, I have to go back and hear the song again.

Click below to play the Pineapple Express trailer:





Click below to play the video for "Paper Planes":

No comments: