04 November 2007

Halloween Day 3: Bruce Springsteen Live!

The Halloween weekend came to a superb, rousing end with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band performing live at the LA Sports Arena (which was a different place than that it had been just two days earlier).

Thanks to my old colleague Cheryl Freuberg, I was able to get great General Admission tickets for the Floor and surprise my wife with it (which, when you add in the AIDS Walk, should give me brownie points with her to last me a long time).

The tail-gating was more of the cheese-and-wine variety which was not what I expected. Standing in line at the merchandising stand (Bruce knows how to merchandise, even if he doesn't believe in corporate tie-ins) I couldn't help but notice that most of the people were buying stuff for their kids who were attending the concert with them.

The show started about an hour late, with the ex-hippies around us leading the "Bruuuuuuuuuce" chants.

Then the band took the stage and from there on out it was just pure joy (as Jon Stewart said, "It was the greatest night of my life...Are you a fan of joy? You should go see his concert.")

And after it was all over, I still couldn't believe just how incredible it had been, and when Rosanne and I, two young kids steppin' out over the line, there was that serene feeling of contentment when we left, and life seemed worth living after all...

‘Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run...

Bruce Springsteen Live


No comments: