09 November 2007

Singapore [1800 09 Nov 2007]

Okay, so I made it back in one piece from the city tour. Singapore was pretty much the way I remebered it last time, though I did sleep through much of the tour. The last time I was legitimate to actually hang out in the city, and spend most of that time drinking Singapore Slings at the Raffles Hotel with my wife's friend Tihunaz.

Of course, on this go around, the one guy who sits next to me just happens to be working for the same company I work for! He tells me that [censored].

The river boat portion of the tour is a lot of fun. In many ways, the vistas reminded me of The Last Great American City: Chicago. The tour guide told us that it was a perfect day in Singapore. Oh yeah? Then why was it hot and humid (Southern California living has certainly taken its toll on me)?

I encountered a horrid-looking albino python wrapped around a surprisingly affable man. I would have freaked out had it not been for the many Tiger beers I had pounded earlier to quench the fire of the Singapore Chili Crab, as well as the thimbe-full Johnny Walker Black Label shots they were giving away for free at Changi International Airport (I have now discovered that a thimble-full of Scotch is just the right amount for me).

I had made a mental note about the loudest and most obnoxious of the group being the Americans (which reminds me: the rudest French people I have ever met, I met in America, they tried to cut the line at security for LAX, and asked them how to say "cut the line" in French, and they replied that it was "La Line"). And then I find out that they are a group of missionaries on their way to Nepal to do the Lord's Work.

Great, I came this close to insulting priests and nuns.

No comments: