08 November 2007

Taipei [Local Time 0600; 09 Nov 2007]




In Taipei after a 13-hour flight. Back of the plane, middle-section, middle seat.
But all in all, not terrible. The food, as always, is good, though options for vegetarians are limited.
Watched some TV, and two movies I was sure my wife would probably not want to grab on Netflix.
I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry
I came really close to shutting this off - Adam Sandler needs to do something...anything.
I did, however, like Kevin James. Liked him in Hitch, and (don't tell anyone) I used to like The King of Queens.
The music the played through the movie - Pet Shop Boys, ABBA, Queen, George Michael - is stuff that I liked growing up. Wait, does that mean...not that there is anything wrong with that...
[SPOILER ALERT]
I think they should have ended with a Sandler - James kiss, c'mon, it would have made the insidious homophobia a little more tolerable.
Wait, I wanted the movie to end on a kiss between two straight men, does that mean....
Naah, gay men usually have better taste than James and Sandler.
Whew, that was a close one.

Not, that there is anything wrong with that.

No Reservations

Okay, so this leans more heavily on the drama side of the dramedy equation, but all in all, not bad.
Aaron Eckhart is always good, Abigail Breslin is pretty good, it's that beautiful wish-fulfillment kind of Manhattan that we all wish we could be a part of. Philip Glass has a very un-Philip Glass score, and Scott Hicks is definitely a craftsman when it comes to putting a movie together.
Catherine Zeta-Jones (and no, I don't have a thing for her) is actually pretty good as the uptight chef. I was surprsied by that, but I am sure she can play this kind of role in her sleep since she has to deal with a free-spirit at home (Michael Douglas).
Still, why do I like this pretty sentimental movie? Could it be because I am missing my wife and her crazy cat...

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

No comments: